Thursday, February 3, 2011

Year Of The Rabbit

honeysuckle rabbit by amber alexander

Chinese New Year 4709, or 2011 in the Western calendar, is the Year of the Metal Rabbit.

The Rabbit represents the fourth year in the 12 year cycle of the Chinese zodiac.
Like the houses of the zodiac in Western astrology, the animals of Chinese astrology are thought by many to dictate personality traits or, in the wider scope of things, even impact world events in any year they rule.
Rabbits, and those born under compatible signs, will likely benefit from luck or good fortune during a Rabbit year — i.e., in 1915, 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, or 2011.
quote from http://www.chiff.com/


Gung Hay Fat Choy!
Today is Chinese New Year, another favourite holiday of mine. If I didn't have a sick boy at home, I would be over in Chinatown, enjoying the celebrations, welcoming the Year of the Rabbit.


I would also pop by Bellagio, to see their gorgeous flower tribute in the Conservatory...
photo: Tom Donahue


rabbit mask by tom banwell

You are a Rabbit if you were born in 1963, 1975, 1987, or 1999
My husband is a Rabbit... I am a Snake...
hmmm ... I wonder what that means!
There is a great book called  "The New Astrology"
by Suzanne White
that synthesizes both Chinese and Western astrological systems...
a fascinating read if you are into astrology.

Chinois on Main, Santa Monica

I worked for many many years here! And Chinois has the most fantastic Chinese New Year celebrations every year...
Add it to your reservation list if you are in the LA area ~

My passion for Chinese New Year celebrations started here, in San Francisco's Chinatown, where I spent much of my childhood. I love the colours, the noise, the excitement!

Uh oh...my poor little sick boy needs me...
Off I go!
Happy Bunny Year to you all!

Nathalie

7 comments:

  1. Awww love this! Happy Thursday honey. Kori xoxo

    www.blondeepisodes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Nathalie. How lovely is the rabbit painting?
    Too nice :))
    Have a great w/end
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post !!! Chinese New Year is a fabulous celebration ... I love all the colour and tradition. I will check out that book ...xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post, Nathalie! :)
    I did not realize it's the METAL rabbit... hmm.
    I am a monkey! (which really fits if you ask me or my husband):)
    Thanks for including my painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this painting is really beautiful, i like a lot!!!
    I'm a tiger grrrrrrrrrr
    have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Chinese New Year too. It is a great excuse to celebrate in the middle of a long winter. I'll have to look for that book - sounds like a fun read. Did you cook up a great feast for the New Year?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be looking for that book. I'm a rabbit ('63). Gonna be a good year! Home sick today though. So how long were you in SF? I was there from 74-79. Take good care and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!