Wednesday, November 17, 2010

An Abundance of Meyer Lemons

Last year we got three lemons from our Meyer Lemon tree ~ this year we have 60 or 70! I gave many away, and decided with the remainders to give my hand a try with the Cured Lemon recipe that I watched Thomas Keller do when I attended his seminar in Aspen at the Food and Wine event in June. It was so easy! My sons helped me, and had alot of fun. Chef Keller recommends serving them as a side accompaniment with seafood dishes, or certain vegetable dishes.

The recipe comes from this cookbook...

So true!

The photo from his book...

Our version... as we speak they are "curing" for 2 weeks or longer ~ they should last several months according to the Chef. I had wanted to perhaps make them as christmas gifts, but didn't have the correct "jars"...perhaps after they are cured.

Cured Lemons

8 lemons, scrubbed
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
Cut one half inch off of each end of the lemons so that you are left with the nicest round part, and slice them into 1/8 inch slices. Remove the seeds as you go. Combine the sugar and salt in a large bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 inch of the sugar/salt mixture in the bottom of a square 6 by 6 storage container. Arrange a row of slightly overlapping slices and top with a 1/2 inch layer of the sugar/salt mixture to cover. It is better to use to much than not enough of the sugar/salt mixture to make sure all of the lemons are covered, so that exposed lemon will not mold. Keep layering until the slices are used up, and top with the sugar salt mixture. Cover tightly, and then wrap in plastic very well. Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks, or up to one month.

Have Fun!

pictures and recipe from Ad Hoc by Thomas Keller



3 comments:

  1. I love lemons, Nathalie. What a huge harvest and a genius solution to "what to do?" xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing about the results. So exciting your very own lemons. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have a lemon tree. Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!