Friday, August 13, 2010

Who Doesn't Love Crayons...The Sculptures of Herb Williams

You have to take a close look at these amazing sculptures by Herb Williams...they are made entirely of Crayola crayons!
Shopping for school supplies for my boys, my favourite purchase is always the brand new box of crayons. Brand new, perfectly placed, with no wear and tear to show, it definitely is a trigger of memories.
Artist's statement:
"Crayons are a gateway drug. To most adults, the sight and smell of crayons produce specific memories of childhood. The twist in the road to nostalgia is the creation of a new object, from a medium in which it was not intended. This element of unexpected interaction and play had me at hello."
Well, he's got my creative juices going! I may be off to grab up more crayons. He does make mention of the fact that he is one of the only people to have an account with Crayola...some of these pieces take hundreds of thousands of crayons to make. Whatever I come up with, it will be on a different scale for sure...
I have to tell "The Zhush" to check this out for her Random Chanel Day!

"Love Child"


At work on Plunderland

"Red Head"
All photos from Herb Williams


Wishing you a colourful and creative weekend!




9 comments:

  1. So great! Crazy cool art work! Thanks! xx
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,, what an imagination... truly works of art!! HHL

    ReplyDelete
  3. How utterly amazing! Thanks for the smile. Its true, crayons take you back to childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, huh? Remember Colorforms? I can smell them as I'm thinking about them.
    I meant to ask you - Did you ever ask your friend about the 'getting unstuck from the sidebar' thing-y (geez - I don't know what to call it)? My friend asked me again and I just thought I'd run it by you. I guess you'd say that her blog doesn't update on the sidebar. Don't go out of your way - was just wondering.
    Best,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These are so amazing! And I love the artist's statement. It's so true, isn't it? It's hard to smell Crayola without feeling happy. I think it's our first introduction to poetry too. What girl didn't fall in love with magenta for a little while?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love artists!! Who would have thought to create a life around crayons, that is the true genius of an artists. Loved to meet this artist and see his amazing work. Thanks Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. a fellow Rumi lover, our meeting was meant to be! :) Also wanted to say thank you so much for your lovely and encouraging congratulations!

    Hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is truly amazing! And so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I just came across your blog... Your pictures are just beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!