Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Tragic and Talented Life of Modigliani

With two young boys, I am quite a bit behind on my movies. My stunning new local library that we visit weekly has some killer old movies, and I have been staying up late doing some catch up. I watched this last night and was very moved, in many ways...his art, which I love; his tragic life which ended so early; the insane love that Jeanne Hebuterne had for him which caused her to end both her and her unborn child's life; his crazy relationship with Picasso; and the utter wildness of Paris in the 20's, which I love to read about. The movie was really very well done, Andy Garcia was brilliant. I researched and caught up on some details on Wikipedia from his life, so interesting. They had a daughter that survived, Jeann. I would love to get a copy of the book that she wrote on her father," Modigliani: Man or Myth". Originally published in 1959, it is now out of print, and goes for $125 and up. On my christmas wish list? Perhaps with the new Tony Duquette book ( I am crazy about books, and have FAR too many of them in my mini museum that I call my house).

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow what a life, sounds very tragic! Hope you get the book your after, ebay is handy for that sort of thing.

    Lovely day to you,
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes unfortunately Modigliani was one of those "artistes maudits" as they said in those days...It is so so sad he didn't gain recognition in his time..
    I would love to see this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning!

    Thank you so much for your very nice comment on my blog, lovely to hear from you! How wonderful that you included the GF music in your wedding, I wish I had, that song is so
    beautiful :)

    Your blog looks wonderful and I love the following line in your profile....I am constantly trying to merge the current "ME" with the past "ME.".....oh, me too, it's quite a challenge isn't it!!

    I see we follow quite a few of the same blogs :)

    Have a great day!

    Simone :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!