Friday, August 14, 2009

The Magnificent Marcello..."I Remember"

I have been on an old classics movie binge lately. I'm sorry, but the actors of the moment just do not hold a torch in comparison to the actors of the past. Something sparked me and I remembered this documentary that I had watched when it first came out, right before or at the time of Marcello Mastroianni's death, and I thought that I would search for it and get a copy, as my eldest son's name is Marcello, and he is quite interested in drama. It is no longer being made, but I was able to purchase a used "New" copy on Amazon...so glad I thought of it now while I could still get a copy. I watched it over two nights, as it is almost four hours of Marcello being filmed by his partner for the last 25 years of his life, Anna Maria. Hearing him talk about his life in cinema, his thoughts on life, clips of all of his classic movies, stories about people that he worked with...incredible. Really an amazing documentary that I highly recommend watching if you are a lover of Italian films and Marcello Mastroianni. It is in Italian, he speaks quickly...and the subtitles are not the best. So make sure that you are not too sleepy. I am sorry, he says that he always disliked the latin lover title that he was given, which is why he started choosing roles in which he portrayed older, obscure characters. But I truly enjoy his young handsome visage in films like"La Dolce Vita". No one quite like him.

1 comment:

  1. He was gorgeous wasn't he? Have a wonderful weekend, xv.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!